Biochemistry occupies a central place in life sciences and research, focusing on understanding the chemical processes occurred in the living organism. The Department pursues the research aims through up-to-date equipment and state-of-the-art technologies, the recruitment of high-caliber staff, maintenance of industrial contacts, and the fostering of close links and collaborations with international scientific community. The Department’s research is grouped under the headings of several broad programs including Clinical Biochemistry, Enzymology, Nutritional and Metabolic Biochemistry, Plant Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Molecular Biology of Human Diseases, Proteomics, Genomics and Cell Biology. The Department has modern research facilities.
To provide an atmosphere for students to acquire skills in identifying the link between biological and human resources and how to transform them to enhance the quality of life
To be recognized as a center of excellence by providing high-quality contributions in the field of biochemistry education, scientific research and public service
- To provide undergraduate students new tools and knowledge that will advance understanding of the living world and enhance the quality of life through better medical care, disease prevention measures, nutrition, and environmentally sound and sustainable agricultural and manufacturing processes.
- To enable students to critically evaluate and interpret the biochemical basis of biological processes
- To introduce students to basic and modern laboratory techniques
- To inculcate in students a culture of cutting-edge research in the field of biochemistry
- To provide students the scientific skills and chemical knowledge essential for success
- To train students in proper laboratory and safety techniques
- To equip students with effective scientific communication skills
- To encourage the pursuit of lifelong learning
- To foster a commitment to ethical and social responsibilities
Graduates of the BS Biochemistry program will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental biochemical principles, including the structure/function of biomolecules, metabolic pathways, and regulation of biological/biochemical processes
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic laboratory techniques
- Apply the scientific method to processes of experimentation and hypothesis testing
- Apply and effectively communicate scientific reasoning and data analysis in both written and oral forums
- Understand and practice scientific research ethics
- Bachelor of Science Biochemistry
- Bachelor of Science, Biosciences
- BS Biochemistry: 4 Years (8 Semesters – 136 credit hours)
- BS Biosciences: 4 Years (8 Semesters – 130 credit hours + mandatory research project)
- Minimum 45% marks HSC Pre-Medical (OR O/ A level – Foreign High School equivalent)
- Equivalence as determined by the Interboard Committee of Chairmen (IBCC) is required for all non-Pakistan Boards of Education (www.ibcc.edu.pk)
- Qualify Aptitude Test & Interview
- Candidates residing outside of Pakistan may submit SAT/ACT results in substitution of Aptitude Test
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM:
- Biochemistry is indispensable to understanding how life works in a fundamental way
- It will enable students to achieve significant research experience that will be invaluable for a career in research
- A wide range of teaching and learning methods are used
- Students will be part of the advancement of discovery in fields of production of safe and effective drugs, nutrition, genetic engineering, molecular biology
- State-of-the-art research facilities
- Campus is centrally located in Karachi
- Students enjoy a vibrant college life and get to interact with a wide range of students in other programs
Employment opportunities for graduates are:
- Healthcare organizations
- Academic and Scientific organizations
- Research facilities
- Food and Agriculture sector
- Clinical diagnostic laboratories
- Molecular diagnostic laboratories
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Biotechnology Firms
- Communications fields where a qualified, knowledgeable person is required to communicate scientific ideas
- Pursue postgraduate studies (MS/M.Phil. or PhD degree) within the country and abroad
To provide students the scientific skill and chemical knowledge essential for success
To train students in proper laboratory and safety techniques
To equip students with effective scientific communication skills
To encourage the pursuit of lifelong learning
To faster a commitment to ethical and social responsiblities
- The fee letter along with vouchers will be issued by the Accounts Department. Student Affairs will inform all students regarding fee payment one week before class commencement.
- The semester fee will be due within 10 days from the issuance of the fee letter.
- The examination fee will be charged at the start of each semester.
- Tuition fee will be paid in full.
- Attendance will not be marked of those students who fail to submit their fees within the deadline and student will not be allowed to sit in examinations.
- After paying the fee voucher, student will email the paid fee voucher to email@example.com
- A Late Surcharge of 3% will be charged after the due date for 15 working days and 5% after the due date 16th working day onwards.
- Scholarships will be decided by the Scholarship Committee. All students will be informed in writing of decision on their application and a summary of awards will be given to the Accounts Department. If any student has paid full fees before the scholarship awards are decided, then the extra fee will be adjusted in the next semester fees.
- For Scholarships awarded at the time of Admission for First Year, Semester 1, attendance and results of Semester 1 will be reviewed for renewal of Semester 2 Scholarship. First Year students who did not apply for scholarship at time of admission, may apply for Semester 2 scholarship award at the end of Semester 1.
- Scholarships will be awarded once a year to be applied to both semesters.
- Students must apply for renewal or new scholarship at the end of each even numbered semester so decisions can be made before the new Academic Year starts. Decisions will be made on the basis of merit (80% minimum attendance and passing all exams in previous Academic Year) and demonstration of financial need.