Bachelor of Science in Economics is a 4-year accredited program, offered under the tutelage of the Department of Social Sciences. Specialty courses in Economics will be taught in conjunction with sequels of Mathematics, Political Science, Statistics and Econometrics courses. The degree is ideal for candidates interested in working in leadership roles within government and private agencies as Economists, Faculty, Bankers, Public Relations officers, Analysts, etc., or in demanding roles within multilateral institutions i.e., the World Bank and the United Nations. Optional specializations in Economics will provide the requisite knowledge to successfully pursue advanced degrees in disciplines such as Economics, Political Economy, Development Studies and related fields
To be a recognized center of excellence in preparing graduates to develop and apply feasible and creative solutions to current and future problems in development and economics related issues, both on a national and international level.
- To study development challenges with a multi-disciplinary focus, reflecting the xperiences of our valued faculty, in the context of the unique culture, demography, institutional policies and geo-political dynamics of the regions under study.
- To teach our students to think independently by a rigorous focus on reading, reflecting and improvising to give students confidence to tackle the most contemporary hallenges in development.
- To provide context-sensitive ways of looking at development issues in a globalized orld including critical reflections on conventional strategies and continuous pursuit for new ones.
- To teach how to evaluate the impact of decisions taken by key stakeholders, at the helm of economic & government agencies, with an understanding of their trickle-down effect(s) on the common man.
- Training students to apply contemporary quantitative and qualitative research ethods, while offering encouragement and guidance in the proper documentation of results. Grooming scholars to offer innovative solutions and policy recommendations to evolving challenges related to Economics.
- Facilitating the learning, of our scholars, by providing access to relevant literature and
scholarly journals, at a fully functional, on-campus library and through online resources.
- Encouraging scholars to ask probing questions, challenging engrained ideas, on important issues, within the Social Sciences disciplines, including Economics.
- To offer a comprehensive teaching curriculum with courses paired together in
a semester system that logically transitions from basic knowledge to intermediate and
later advanced subjects, with several options to choose from, including
specializations offered in Political Economy, World Economy & Globalization,
Development Studies and Resource Economics.
- The application of modern pedagogical methods conducive to learning, with a
varied grading system; ensuring a greater retention of knowledge and depth in learning.
- To provide a Liberal Arts learning experience in the center of a sprawling city,
where healthy class interactions are held on important themes, while teachers steer discussions, allowing students to freely express opinions and grow their reasoning and oratorical abilities.
- To provide an affordable and accredited university degree in Economics that meets
the needs of corporations requiring well-rounded graduates, who would
endeavor to make positive contributions to furthering the company objectives,
through their meticulous work ethic, discipline, and initiative.
- By attending classes and participating in teacher prescribed activities and
assignments, students should be able to demonstrate an enhanced learning of
Economic principles and apply them to everyday life.
- Students should understand how
Economics and its concomitant subjects in Social Sciences contribute to the debates
in Politics, Finance, Public Policy, Human and Trade interactions.
- Students will learn to properly articulate their ideas both in writing and through
logical arguments, with fellow students and the faculty.
- Students learn to employ Social Sciences statistical software(s) with proficiency.
- Students will complete important researches independently. They will be
provided with the resources to convert their ideas into legible reports.
- Students will demonstrate outstanding knowledge, skills, confidence and work
ethics, while working in challenging roles.
WHY CHOOSE THIS PROGRAM?
- The degree program offers a multidisciplinary curriculum, combining
knowledge from disciplines in Social Sciences and Humanities, enhancing the
understanding of Economic principles and their applicability to Politics, Public Policy,
Finance, Trade, Foreign Policy, National interest, etc.
- The teaching methods and the progression of courses offered, meet the requirements
of Pakistani and Multinational agencies, needing proficient Policy Analysts,
Researchers, Social scientists and able Economists.
|Total (at the time of admission)||90,000|
|The Univesity reserves the right to increase the fees if required according to the recommendation of the Governing Body.|
- The fee letter along with vouchers will be issued by the Accounts Department. Student Affairs will inform all students regarding fee payment one week before class commencement.
- The semester fee will be due within 10 days from the issuance of the fee letter.
- The examination fee will be charged at the start of each semester.
- Tuition fee will be paid in full.
- Attendance will not be marked of those students who fail to submit their fees within the deadline and student will not be allowed to sit in examinations.
- After paying the fee voucher, student will email the paid fee voucher to email@example.com
- A Late Surcharge of 3% will be charged after the due date for 15 working days and 5% after the due date 16th working day onwards.
- Scholarships will be decided by the Scholarship Committee. All students will be informed in writing of decision on their application and a summary of awards will be given to the Accounts Department. If any student has paid full fees before the scholarship awards are decided, then the extra fee will be adjusted in the next semester fees.
- For Scholarships awarded at the time of Admission for First Year, Semester 1, attendance and results of Semester 1 will be reviewed for renewal of Semester 2 Scholarship. First Year students who did not apply for scholarship at time of admission, may apply for Semester 2 scholarship award at the end of Semester 1.
- Scholarships will be awarded once a year to be applied to both semesters.
- Students must apply for renewal or new scholarship at the end of each even numbered semester so decisions can be made before the new Academic Year starts. Decisions will be made on the basis of merit (80% minimum attendance and passing all exams in previous Academic Year) and demonstration of financial need.
- Tuition fees are subject to yearly revision depending on inflation and cost of living index.
Graduates of the program will make meaningful contributions as Policy
Analysts, Advisors to Multinational and government agencies, and researchers in
development projects, including roles within Multilateral Aid & Financial
institutions i.e., the World Bank, United Nations, and the Asian Development Bank.
Multilateral agencies will tremendously benefit from our graduates’ research skills
& knowledge of local socio-economic challenges and cultural sensitivities, so that
future economic policies are sympathetic to the requirements of the locals, while
meeting the agencies’ objectives of improving the quality of life in our region.
This program is also base to pursue further post-graduate and post-doctoral research
degrees in the field of economics particularly and social sciences generally.
INSTITUTE OF HISTORICAL & SOCIAL RESEARCH (IHSR)
- The IHSR is a research organization with a vibrant progressive, pro-people vision.
- Research conducted covers different disciplines independently as well as in a multidisciplinary manner. It deviates from traditional modes of historiography and views history from below, encompassing the common people, their sociopolitical contribution, ethos and values, and creative pursuits, as the major determinants of historical evolution.
- The Institute preserves sources of peoples’ history, retrieves relevant historical documents and conducts original research, dealing with the ways of life, thinking and movements reflecting the concerns of people at a given point of time in the past. The Institute disseminates its historical research in the form of books, monographs, seminars and conferences. Preservation and publication of the political literature of Pakistan is of special interest.
- In the domain of social research, the Institute focuses on contemporary socio-political issues of the country, with the common people as the central point of reference.
- Research is compiled and projected in a manner so it can be used by policymakers, planners and civil society representatives.